North Main Street at IL 176
The intersection of North Main Street and IL Route 176 was experiencing congestion due to lack of traffic signals. The City of Crystal Lake retained Hampton, Lenzini and Renwick, Inc. (HLR) to provide preliminary engineering services to develop intersection improvements and pedestrian accommodations as well as other upgrades to update the City’s historic downtown district.
Main Street is a gateway to the City’s downtown, yet it had little visual appeal for vehicles and pedestrians. The pavement on Main Street was deteriorating and in need of reconstruction. HLR completed a Phase I study of the intersection of North Main Street at IL Route 176 to improve safety and add capacity. The project consists of resurfacing Main Street from the Union Pacific railroad to Prairie Street and rehabilitating Main Street from Prairie Street to IL Route 176. Turn lane channelization and new traffic signals will be added at the Main Street/IL Route 176 intersection and sidewalk was added to locations lacking sidewalk and all sidewalk ramps within the project limits were upgraded to current ADA/PROWAG standards if found to be noncompliant. The design of Main Street in the reconstruction section was completed to maintain the character of the existing roadway while minimizing impacts to existing mature parkway trees.
A pedestrian study was completed for the portion of Main Street located in downtown Crystal Lake due to safety concerns of pedestrians as well as motorists. HLR was tasked with creating centralized crossings that were convenient for pedestrians and highly visible to drivers. Curb bump-outs were proposed to improve visibility along with brick pavers in the crossings to call out crosswalks to drivers. Revisions to parking in downtown were designed to improve the line of sight conditions for vehicles accessing Main Street.
Scope of Work:
- Topographic survey
- Intersection design and geometric studies
- Location drainage study
- Environmental coordination including coordination with IDOT and SHPO due to potential historic properties within the corridor
- Preliminary Environmental Site Assessment completed for the local portion, Main Street, of the project, finding six RECs. IDOT completed the section of the project along Illinois Route 176. The report was updated before design approval in 2019.
- Noise Analysis and Impact Study using IDOT Highway Traffic Noise Assessment Manual and TNM 2.5
- Tree survey based on the City of Crystal Lake Development and Design Standards
- Public meeting
- Coordination with property owners
- Design of new water main and sanitary sewer
- IDOT coordination due to the use of federal funds and due to proposed improvements on a state route
Learn more about HLR’s preliminary engineering services.
City of Crystal Lake
Intersection of North Main Street and IL Route 176