Fox Valley Park District Multi-Site Native Area Management
HLR’s environmental team designs and implements individualized management plans for various parks within Fox Valley Park District, addressing the needs and challenges of each site, including concerns of the residents, invasive species, and algae issues in the wetland ecosystems.
HLR developed long-term management and maintenance plans for eleven sites. Invasive species removal, native species installations, and algae control of selected ponds were our primary focus. Some of the sites also included a long-term plan to gradually convert the no-mow, turf grass buffer to a native buffer within the existing budgets. Benefits of the project included invasive removal to promote native plant growth, improved aesthetics, improved wildlife habitat and improved water quality.
Scope of Work
- Chemical removal of invasive species via herbiciding by an Illinois licensed pesticide applicator
- Live native plant installation
- Mechanical removal of invasives via machine and hand-pulling
- Overseeding with a native seed mix customized to the site-specific needs, including a concentration on flowering natives
- NPDES permitting and compliance for pesticide point source discharges
- Prescribed burning
- USACE wetland monitoring report
Fox Valley Park District
Various native area sites within the Fox Valley Park District