Our Restoration Crew Leaders are enthusiastic, highly motivated and knowledgeable individuals who work on a variety of sites (prairies, woodlands, wetlands, and/or lakes) and have experience in native plants, invasive species, and herbicides. At this time we are not actively recruiting for this position but if you would like to send us your resume for future consideration please click on the apply now button below.
- Work full-time 6-9 months a year (minimum of May – October), 8-12 hours a day
- Lead crews for field work, herbicide application, and mechanical control (using brush cutters, mowers, and hand tools)
- Live plant, shrub and tree installation, algae control applications, tree and shrub removal, litter pick up, seed and erosion control blanket installation
- Coordinate with residents and stakeholders
- Use power tools, trailers, and motorized equipment to perform work
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Ability to drive a truck and trailer preferred
- Ability to identify native and invasive woody and herbaceous species in natural areas, preferred
- Illinois Pesticide Applicator or Operator license required 60 days prior to employment (HLR assists with licensure costs)
- Experience communicating effectively both verbally and in writing, with all levels of staff and clients
- Ecology background a plus
- While performing the duties of this job the employee will frequently be walking on uneven surfaces and must be able to lift and or carry up to 40 pounds
- Ability to withstand a variety of extreme outdoor temperatures including cold, damp, heat, humidity, insects, pollen, and wet conditions
- Ability to carry backpacks weighing 25-40 pounds for extended periods of time. Occasional lifting of 50 pounds plus.