If you thrive on new challenges and want to make meaningful contributions to real-life projects, why not make your first career step an internship with HLR?
HLR is looking for energetic individuals with an ecology background to join our environmental team for the 2021 summer season. Our exciting internship program will allow you to enhance your knowledge of native plants, herbicide application, mechanical control of wetlands, prairies, and lakes and more! Interns must be able to work for at least 3 months (May-August), start and end dates are flexible with school schedules. This internship will be based out of our Elgin, IL location.
Reports to: Natural Resources Manager
Location: Elgin, IL
Employment Type: Full Time – hours vary depending on workload and weather
On any give day, you’ll:
- Perform field work, herbicide application, and mechanical control (using brush cutters, mowers, and hand tools)
- Live plant, shrub, and tree installation; algae control applications; tree and shrub removal; litter pick up; and seed and erosion control blanket installation
- Use power tools, trailers, and motorized equipment to perform work
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Illinois Pesticide Applicator or Operator license required 60 days prior to employment (HLR will assist with licensure costs)
- Experience communicating effectively with residents and other stakeholders
- Enthusiastic, courteous, positive attitude, and team spirit
- Ecology background is a plus, but not required
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions (cold, damp, heat, humidity, insects, pollen, wet conditions, etc.) for extended periods of time
- Ability to sit, walk, reach, crouch, bend, and walk or stand on uneven surfaces for extended periods of time
- Ability to carry backpacks weighing 25-40 lbs. for extended periods of time. Occasional lifting of 50+ lbs.
This internship opportunity will be posted until all positions are filled.