Environmental Services Team
Role: Environmental Scientist
Reports to: Director of Environmental Services/Executive Vice President
Role Type: Full-time
ABOUT HAMPTON, LENZINI AND RENWICK, INC. (HLR)
Founded in 1965, Hampton, Lenzini and Renwick, Inc. (HLR) is a 100% employee-owned civil engineering firm headquartered in Elgin, IL with additional offices spanning across the state of Illinois. HLR is a leading provider of professional consulting engineering, environmental, and surveying services, serving public agencies and private-sector clients throughout the Midwest.
We believe that our team and award-winning Work Hard | Have Fun | Give Back® culture are what draw employees and clients to our firm and are proud to be named the number one 2022 A/E/C Employer of Choice® by PSMJ Resources, Inc., based on our workforce retention, productivity, and superior level of employee engagement. Additionally, HLR received the 2022 Premier Award for Client Satisfaction by PSMJ Resources, Inc. — the only award recognizing the A/E/C firms that deliver a truly exceptional client experience.
At HLR, our culture and team are paramount to our success. We’ve built an incredible atmosphere that attracts bright, driven, caring individuals who sincerely want to make a difference in the industry. We are truly a team in every sense: we’re mentors and collaborators who believe in supporting one another as we work together to achieve our goals. We’re passionate about employee development, evidenced by our Pathways to Success program — a specialized roadmap to career advancement — as well as the time and resources we dedicate to employee training and education. We challenge ourselves, celebrate accomplishments big and small, and focus on fostering a positive, synergetic environment where individuals can thrive professionally and personally. By joining our team, you are joining us on our mission to make a measurable impact in the communities which we live and work each and every day. Together, we can redefine excellence.
HLR is looking for a qualified Environmental Scientist to join our dynamic team. This role presents the opportunity to perform a variety of environmental tasks on transportation, utility, and private projects. This role typically consists of 80% field duties and 20% office duties.
Our ideal candidate will have a keen understanding of environmental and natural sciences, and a willingness to work in the field, at times, under strenuous conditions. All candidates will demonstrate outstanding communication skills with coworkers, colleagues, and clients to deliver a best-in-class client experience. Additionally, our ideal candidate is a self-starting multi-tasker with the ability to work independently
with minimal supervision. At HLR, we work as a team, and we are looking for the right person to help us grow our environmental department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Typical field duties include:
- Wetland delineations
- Native area restoration activities
- Erosion control observation on construction sites
- Tree surveys
Typical office duties include:
- Report writing
- Wetland and stormwater permitting
- Environmental studies
- Various documentation
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in biology, botany, environmental science, geology, or related field.
Required Experience and Skills:
- 3-5 years of experience in the environmental field.
- Must possess a current valid driver’s license, as driving a vehicle is a requirement to perform the job responsibilities. Therefore, you must be able to pass a work-related, pre-employment drug screen.
- 2 years of SE/SC inspection experience in the upper Midwest region.
- Knowledge of Midwestern native plant communities, and native and invasive plant identification and terminology skills preferred.
- Wetland delineation training and experience.
- Strong communication and computer skills.
- Wa CPESC or CESSWI
- Experience with Arc GIS
- Water and soil contamination testing and analysis experience (CCDD, PESAs, Phase 1 and 2 ESAs)
- Construction observation experience
- Experience with Microstation
- Experience with threatened and endangered species surveys
- Certified Arborist
- Competitive salary, depending on experience.
- End-of-the-year bonus opportunity, dependent on company and personal performance.
- Student loan assistance
- Paid holidays
- Paid time off (PTO)
- 401(k) Profit-Sharing Plan (Available to all employees over 21 years of age who have completed 6 months of service. Employer match is dollar-for-dollar for the first 6% of eligible pay and employees are fully vested upon eligibility.)
- Flexible work hours and schedules
- Family-like atmosphere
- Casual dress code
- Frequent company social events
- Community involvement opportunities
- Rewards and recognition programs
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Corporate perks
- Employee referral bonus
- Blue Cross Blue Shield medical insurance (HSA and PPO)
- Employer HSA contribution
- Supplemental Coverage (Employees who elect other insurance will receive supplemental coverage up to $1,800 for employee and family.)
- Dental Wellness Allowance
- Optional vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care
- Wellness program
- Gym membership reimbursement
- HLR-led seminars and Lunch ‘n’ Learns
- Mentoring program for all employees
- Continuing education program
- Performance and career development programs
- Financial support for professional development, memberships, and registrations
READY TO JOIN OUR TEAM?
We understand your time is valuable and that is why we have a very quick and easy application process. If you feel that you would be right for this position, please fill out our initial 3-minute, mobile-friendly application through the link below. We look forward to meeting you!