If you thrive on new challenges and want to make meaningful contributions to real-life projects, why not make your first career step an internship with HLR?
HLR is looking for energetic individuals with an ecology background to join our environmental team for the 2022 summer season. Our exciting internship program will allow you to enhance your knowledge of native plants, herbicide application, mechanical control of wetlands, prairies, lakes, and more! Start and end dates are flexible with school schedules. This internship will be based out of our Elgin, IL location.
ABOUT HAMPTON, LENZINI AND RENWICK, INC. (HLR)
Founded in 1965, we are an employee-owned corporation and a leading provider of professional consulting engineering, environmental, and surveying services for public agencies and private-sector clients in Illinois.
We’ve built a reputation for personalized client service, superior project management, and a dedication to delivering each of our client’s vision. We listen to our clients and develop solutions to meet their needs and we treat everyone with respect, including clients, the community, and our colleagues.
At HLR, our culture and team are paramount to our success. We’ve built an incredible atmosphere that attracts bright, driven, caring individuals who sincerely want to make a difference in the industry. We are truly a team in every sense: we’re mentors and collaborators who believe in supporting one another as we work together to achieve our goals. We’re passionate about employee development, evidenced by our Pathways to Success program — a specialized roadmap to career advancement — as well as the time and resources we dedicate to employee training and education. We challenge ourselves, celebrate accomplishments big and small, and focus on fostering a positive, synergetic environment where individuals can thrive professionally and personally. By joining our team, you are joining us on our mission to make a measurable impact in the communities which we live and work each and every day. Together, we can redefine excellence.
On any give day, you’ll:
- Perform field work, herbicide application, and mechanical control (using brush cutters, mowers, and hand tools)
- Live plant, shrub, and tree installation; algae control applications; tree and shrub removal; litter pick up; and seed and erosion control blanket installation
- Use power tools, trailers, and motorized equipment to perform work
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Illinois Pesticide Applicator or Operator license required 60 days prior to employment (HLR will assist with licensure costs)
- Experience communicating effectively with residents and other stakeholders
- Enthusiastic, courteous, positive attitude, and team spirit
- Ecology background is a plus, but not required
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions (cold, damp, heat, humidity, insects, pollen, wet conditions, etc.) for extended periods of time
- Ability to sit, walk, reach, crouch, bend, and walk or stand on uneven surfaces for extended periods of time
- Ability to carry backpacks weighing 25-40 lbs. for extended periods of time. Occasional lifting of 50+ lbs.
This internship opportunity will be posted until all positions are filled.