If you thrive on new challenges and want to make meaningful contributions to real-life projects, why not make your first career step an internship with HLR?
Are you a Junior or Senior in an accredited Civil Engineering program? Our robust internship program will introduce you to real-world engineering projects in the transportation industry. HLR strives to grow our intern’s knowledge of the engineering industry by providing practical, educational opportunities to participate in the daily operations of our company and to observe how the industry works firsthand. As an intern, you will assist with active roadway construction projects and will be exposed to the wide-range of services that our firm has to offer. Please note that our internships are for students who are currently in school. All students must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Reports to: Design, Construction or Municipal Engineering Manager
Location: Elgin, Springfield, or Mt. Carmel, IL
Employment Type: Full Time – hours vary depending on workload and weather
On any given day, you’ll:
- Assist on various construction projects
- Gain experience reading and interpreting construction plans and specifications
- Measure and document quantities
- Receive instruction on specific assignment objectives, complex features, and possible solutions from professional engineering staff
- Be exposed to design engineering, land surveying, traffic engineering, and structural engineering projects, as available
- Junior or Senior enrolled in an accredited Civil Engineering program
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record
- Ability to work from late-May through mid-August
Desired Skills and Experiences:
- Previous internship or experience with construction, municipal, roadway, traffic, or structural experience is beneficial
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions for extended periods of time
- Ability to sit, walk, reach, crouch, bend, and walk or stand on uneven surfaces for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 30 lbs.
- Constant hand, finger, and arm use
Internship positions for 2021 are currently available to Juniors and Seniors studying Civil Engineering. Sophomores will be considered with previous internship experience. This internship opportunity will be posted until all positions are filled. Internship positions are available at our Elgin, Springfield, and Mt. Carmel, IL locations.