Are you a recent or upcoming December 2020 or May 2021 civil engineer graduate looking to kick start your career? Are you an experienced Civil Engineer looking for a growth opportunity? We offer positions with exposure in transportation, construction, municipal, structural, and traffic engineering.
As a Civil Engineer at HLR you will be exposed to many types of engineering in your role here learning under experienced Professional Engineers.
We encourage you to apply if you wish to become a versatile member of our expanding family. We are hiring entry level engineers in our Elgin, Crystal Lake, Springfield, and Mt. Carmel locations.
Reports to: Design, Construction, or Municipal Engineering Manager
Location: Elgin, Crystal Lake, Springfield, or Mt. Carmel, IL
Employment Type: Full Time
On any given day you’ll:
- Assist in the preparation or modification of plans, specifications, report construction schedules, permits, and project design
- Perform specific and limited portions of a broader assignment of an experienced engineer
- Prepare design computations and quantity estimates
- Assist in the development of probable construction cost estimates for projects
- Serve as onsite project representative
- Review construction site to monitor progress and other duties per the contract documents
- Apply standard practices and techniques in specific situations, adjust and correlate data, recognize discrepancies in results, and follow operations through a series of related steps or processes
- Read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures, or government regulations
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited college or university
- Passed Fundamentals of Engineering exam or will be taking the Fundamentals of Engineering exam within 6 months of hire
- Applied for or received EIT license or ability to obtain with 6 months of hire
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record
Desired Skills and Experiences:
- Previous internship experience in civil engineering a is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions for extended periods of time
- Ability to sit, walk, reach, crouch, bend, and walk or stand on uneven surfaces for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 30 lbs.
- Constant hand, finger, and arm use