Eldamain Road Extension - Environmental Services
Create a new roadway corridor and Fox River crossing.
Extensive population growth is occurring in Kendall County. As new commercial and residential developments are built in the area, the existing roadway network is fast reaching its capacity.
The Kendall County Highway Department proposed to create a new roadway corridor and bridge crossing over the Fox River. Hampton, Lenzini and Renwick, Inc. (HLR) is working with the County to prepare concept designs and develop the general location of the six-mile-long roadway corridor.
HLR is completing the Phase I engineering analysis and design. Phase I work also includes coordination with environmental regulatory agencies on environmental issues through the NEPA process. This involves concurrence by the agencies such topics as the Purpose and Need for the project and comprehensive alternatives analysis. HLR is also preparing the Environmental Assessment (EA) Report which incorporated the results of environmental studies including wetland delineations, tree surveys, threatened and endangered species, special waste, noise and air quality analysis some of which are on-going. An extensive public involvement process is necessary because of the Fox River crossing and involvement in the NEPA process.
HLR is coordinating with the following regulatory agencies:
- IDOT District 3 for preliminary design approval and environmental survey report.
- US Army Corps of Engineers for wetland and Waters of the US issues.
- Illinois Department of Natural Resources for floodway construction and biological and natural resource issues.
- Department of Agriculture, IEPA, USEPA, and USFWS as part of the NEPA merger process.
The Phase I design approval is expected in 2012.
Benefits of the proposed project will include:
- Additional Fox River Crossing will alleviate congestion
- Improved traffic safety
- Aesthetic improvements
Mr. Fran Klaas, PE
Kendall County Highway Dept.