Are you an enthusiastic Restoration Crew Leader ready to join our busy Environmental Department? This highly motivated and knowledgeable individual will work on a variety of sites (prairies, woodlands, wetlands, and/or lakes) and have experience in native plants, invasive species, and herbicides.
- Work full-time 6-9 months a year (minimum of May – October), 8-12 hours a day
- Lead crews for field work, herbicide application, and mechanical control (using brush cutters, mowers, and hand tools)
- Live plant, shrub and tree installation, algae control applications, tree and shrub removal, litter pick up, seed and erosion control blanket installation
- Coordinate with residents and stakeholders
- Use power tools, trailers, and motorized equipment to perform work
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Ability to drive a truck and trailer preferred
- Ability to identify native and invasive woody and herbaceous species in natural areas, preferred
- Illinois Pesticide Applicator or Operator license required 60 days prior to employment (HLR assists with licensure costs)
- Experience communicating effectively both verbally and in writing, with all levels of staff and clients
- Ecology background a plus
- While performing the duties of this job the employee will frequently be walking on uneven surfaces and must be able to lift and or carry up to 40 pounds
- Ability to withstand a variety of extreme outdoor temperatures including cold, damp, heat, humidity, insects, pollen, and wet conditions
- Ability to carry backpacks weighing 25-40 pounds for extended periods of time. Occasional lifting of 50 pounds plus.